Friday, November 17, 2017

Journey of a Little Fox part 2

"Not all who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien (and many bumper stickers).


Day two of my journey involves a trip to historic Timberline Lodge.  Timberline is a mountain lodge that was constructed from 1936 to 1938 as part of the works progress administration. Skilled laborers who worked on the project earned $0.90 and hour and unskilled labor earned $0.55 an hour.  How much did supervisory stuffies earn?

Stuffies are pretty smart animals, many of the rugs, draperies, bedspreads, and other linens were actually made from old strips of Civilian Conservation Corps blankets.  If a stuffie was around during that time who knows what could have happened.

Besides recycling blankets they also re purposed cedar poles, used timber from the forest, and the foundation was but from rocks quarried off the mountain.

It was dedicated in September by President F. D. Roosevelt and he and Mrs. Roosevelt enjoyed a lunch of fresh salmon and huckleberry pie.  Those presidents really knew how to live it up.
Here I am hanging out at the same spot as FDR.  Now, he did a lot for us in Oregon and around the USA during the depression (lots of campgrounds, hiking trails, and roads to travel, yeah) but I am more of a Hoover fan.  Any president that promised a chicken in every pot gets my vote.
 Enjoying the same view that FDR had way back in the day.  My lunch DID NOT consist of salmon and huckleberry pie, instead it was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 
Let's go inside. 
Always a good sign when you are greeted by Smokey the Bear. 
The ironwork is pretty amazing. Makes sense that you would have a fancy fireplace in a mountain lodge. 
Nice view from the inside looking out.  Mt. Hood decided to show itself today. 
They have all of these comfy Adirondack (Muskoka in Canada as I learned from Sandy) out in the back for relaxing.  Now, how do I summon a waiter for a drink?
I need to talk to Sandy about getting a chair that is my size.  

Walking around the lodge is almost as exciting as walking in it.  The lodge is dramatic from the front.  Now, we just need to move all of these cars out of my picture. 

Back inside.  I found the pool.  I am not a historian but I guess the pool wasn't there when Roosevelt dedicated the lodge. 
I recognize some of those flags.  Let's see, Canada.  France (right Ben?).  US Forest Service.  United States of America.  Switzerland, and possibly Mexico in the background?
All of this adventuring is making me tired.  Luckily, the have some nice picnic tables outside.  The ski lift in the background ins't working since it's Summer but that mountain in the background looks like a cool place to hike.





9 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! You're right, it's the French flag!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PB & J? Lemme guess..Drunk Fox packed your lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it. He packed me a couple of sandwiches before my journey.

      Delete
  3. Did you see these:

    https://www.target.com/p/green-inspired-16ct-holiday-boxed-cards-forest-fox/-/A-52340296#lnk=sametab

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is a beautiful lodge. Reminds me of some of the ones in Banff National Park. Nice view of Mount Hood too. I think you and Drunk Fox should really go into the tour-guide business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I haven't been to the Canadian Rockies for a while - one of my favorite spots is Lake O'Hara? Hard to get too but beary cool.

      Delete
  5. I bet supervisory stuffies made at least 3x as much as the stuffie laborers, that's why it's good to be in management positions and delegate work to others. :)

    I wouldn't want to be a stuffie around that time - probably would have made a good pillow stuffing!

    ReplyDelete